Expanding business training and mentoring in Malawi
The MicroLoan Foundation
- Malawi is ranked 170 out of 187 countries in the UN Human Development Index.
- Life expectancy is 54.8 years and GNI per capita is $774 (PPP).
- 74% of the population live on less than $1 per day and 23% are undernourished.
- 1 in 10 people aged 15 to 49 are HIV positive.
- Educational standards are low; adults have received a mean of 4.2 years’ schooling; rates of illiteracy are far higher amongst women (40%) compared to men (21%), and far higher in rural areas (34%) compared to urban (10%).
Hence this project targets rural women.
Your donation will help to roll out a new training programme to 4,500 women microentrepreneurs across 5 branches in Malawi. This will enable the women to improve their businesses, increase their profits and support their families better. Over one year, 2,100 women and their small businesses will benefit. Assuming 4 dependents per woman, 10,500 people will benefit directly and indirectly.